The purpose of this article is to explain how to set up Radar Chart Visualization
What is the RAI Radar Chart Extension?
A radar chart visualizes multivariate data in a 2D chart of three or more quantitative variables represented on axes. The radar chart is the equivalent is a web chart, spider chart, or polar chart. This is a new visualization for Spotfire that is added to the list of visualizations that can be created. It is installed as an extension for Spotfire through the Spotfire server.
In the Radar Chart you can use up to three parameters to visualize:
- A grouping column
- An axis variable that will grow from the center to the border of the radar
- An axis variable that will grow in a circular direction across the edge of the radar
This structure gives an idea of motion inside the circle representing the variability of the relationship per group.
The visualizations interact to allow the user to better understand the underlying relationships.
Steps to run:
1. Click the Radar Chart Icon on the toolbar.
2. Click on the properties menu on the top right corner of the Radar Chart visualization
3. Configure the properties menu.
Radar Chart properties inputs:
- Title: Title of the visualization
- Description: Add a description to the visualization.
- Data Table
- Filtering: Option to use a filtering scheme.
- Marking: Choose the desired marking.
- Limit by Marking
- Column Selection
- Group: Choose the column to group
- Axis: Choose the column that lies on the axis
- Value: Choose column to the value.
- Description: Choose column for description
- Normalize: Yes/No
- Value Aggregation: Min, Max, Avg(average), Sum, Median.
- Axes Labels: Show or Hide. These are the outer labels surrounding the Radar Chart.
- Level Label: Show or Hide. These are the Labels inside each layer of the Radar Chart.
- Legend: Show or Hide: Legend underneath the properties menu.
- Levels: Show or Hide: these are the layers between each of the axes.
- Number of Levels: Show or Hide: the layers that surround each axes.
- Axes - Show or Hide: a Straight line that goes between the layers
- Vertices- Show or Hide: The colored points that lie on the Radar Chart
- Polygons - Show or Hide: The fill color for the polygon shapes
- Label text Scale: X-small, Small, Medium, large, or X-large. These are the size of the labels (Number)
6. Click Save after selecting all the settings.
- Single Radar chart visualization that consists of a sequence of equiangular spokes, with each spoke representing one of the variables.
Example: This is a Radar Chart Example from the Exchange.ai Portal
How to see the values that for each of the polygon shapes
- Hover the mouse over the filled polygon shape, and the values will be present.
How to filter a subset of data
(Note: Make sure to select and save a filtering scheme in the properties menu before filtering)
- Open the filter panel by clicking the filter icon on the top bar.
- Choose the correct filtering scheme.
- This will automatically filter the visualization upon selection.
Link for the template example on the portal below:
For additional information on RAI Radar Chart documentation, click here