Connecting to Azure Cosmos instead of MongoDB gives you the benefit of setting up your repository inside of your existing Azure cloud environment. As the protocols for Azure Cosmos is based off of MongoDB, this allows DCA Wrangler to store document-based data in both repositories. This guide will show you how to connect your DCA Wrangler visualization to Azure Cosmos DB.
Create an Azure Cosmos DB Instance
First, from the Microsoft Azure homepage, you will need to open Azure Cosmos DB and create a new Cosmos DB Account. Ensure that your API is set to MongoDB. This should take about 5 minutes to deploy.
Get the Connection String
Once the deployment is complete, copy the Primary Connection String to your clipboard:
Connect the DCA Wrangler
With the copied connection string, open the DCA Wrangler. In these steps, we will configure the connection for a Spotfire group. This is the most common scenario. In the next section, we will demonstrate how to do this for a single user for troubleshooting.
- Open Spotfire
- Navigate to Tools > Administration Manager.
- Select the tab Preferences and find the group for which you will give access to this database for their DCA Wrangler visualizations.
- Navigate to Ruths.ai > Energy Analytics.
- Press Edit to open the Edit Preferences Dialog.
- Press the ellipsis button on the right to open the DBPreferenceInfo Collection Editor
Click Add to create a new database connection.
Enter the string you copied from Azure into the Key and then give it a name!
Press OK and close out of all the windows.
Testing a Connection String
To test a connection string for a single user, follow these steps:
- Open Spotfire
- Import a minimal Well Header and Production data set as Data Tables.
- Create a DCA Wrangler visualization and configure the minimum properties.
- In the top right corner, press the Load Button.
- Enter the connection string into the Database Connection URI. (Note: this connection string will override what has been previously configured in the Administration Manager dialog.)
- Press Test Connection. If the test returns as complete, you can press Save.